Imagine this … you are a lawyer, accountant, architect, or patent attorney and have just been promoted to a partner or director in your firm. The initial high is followed by the realisation that you are now responsible for growing fees as well as delivery but how do you attract new clients?
There is a lot of nonsense put forward to answer to this question. Perhaps you have mistakenly been told by ‘experts’ that:
– LinkedIn will fill your pipeline
– All you need to attract new clients is to have a strong online presence
– Networking is the only way to win new work
– To attract new clients LinkedIn, your online presence and networking will all play their part
There is of course truth in all of these but today you need to add a little more complexity:
– Invest in your relationships. People need to know you, like you and trust you.
– Use content to stay visible
– Aim to establish yourself as the ‘go to’ professional by writing and speaking about your specialisms
– Build a library of case studies you can use to demonstrate your expertise in pitches and presentations
– Collect LinkedIn recommendations, directory listings and on-line reviews to cement your credibility
– Get up to speed on the latest Search Engine Optimisation techniques
– Focus your BD around niches
– Always be accessible in person and virtually to make it as easy as possible for people to find you, instruct you and refer work to you
When it comes to attracting new clients, there isn’t one answer and there certainly isn’t any magic dust. Instead, you need to focus on 3 proven strategies:
1. Begin with the end in mind and have a clear focus on where you are trying to get to and what you need to do to get there
2. Have a manageable plan which covers a good mix of the tactics outlined above but, more importantly, is broken down into bite-sized steps with clear accountabilities and deadlines
3. JFDI … even the best plan won’t attract new clients if it isn’t implemented!
If you’d like to find out more about how we use 1on1 BD coaching to help lawyers, accountants, IP attorneys and architects develop more effective personal BD plans, why not email us today so we can arrange a chat?
Or, if you’d like some tips to help you do better BD from home, please help yourself.